Effective Exercises for TMJ Pain Relief: Strengthening and Stretching Techniques
TMJ (temporomandibular joint) pain, which affects the jaw joint and surrounding muscles, can be debilitating. Fortunately, some exercises can provide relief and promote healing. These exercises are built around strengthening and stretching techniques.
Resistance exercises can help to strengthen the jaw muscles. These entail placing the tongue on the roof of the mouth and gently pressing against it with the jaw. This aids in strengthening your muscles and improves joint stability. Biting down on a resistance object like a silicone ball can also improve jaw muscle strength.
Stretching exercises are designed to improve flexibility and relieve tension in the jaw joint. Stretching the muscles and promoting relaxation can be accomplished by opening the mouth wide and holding the position for a few seconds before slowly closing it. Gentle side-to-side and forward/backward jaw movements can also help relieve your pain and improve your motion range.
It is critical to note that these exercises should only be done under the supervision of your dentist in Bayside, NY specializing in TMJ disorders. They can modify the exercises to meet the needs of the individual and ensure proper technique to avoid exacerbating the condition. Long-term relief from TMJ pain can be obtained through consistent practice and gradually increasing intensity.
Different Exercises for TMJ Pain Relief and The Tips for Relieving Pain During Dental Care
TMJ pain can be extremely uncomfortable, but several exercises can help. There are also helpful hints for dealing with pain during dental care procedures. Some of the TMJ Pain Relief Exercises include
- Jaw Relaxation Exercise: Begin by sitting comfortably and allowing your jaw to relax. Allow your teeth to separate by gently placing the tongue on your mouth’s roof. While holding this position, take a deep breath in and slowly exhale. This exercise aids in the relaxation of the jaw muscles.
- Resisted Opening and Closing: Place your thumb under your chin and gently press down as you open your mouth slowly. Maintain the pressure as you close your mouth slowly. This exercise strengthens the jaw muscles and increases joint stability.
- Jaw stretch Open your mouth wide and gently glide your lower jaw to one side, feeling the opposite jaw muscles stretch. Hold for some few seconds before repeating on the opposite side. This exercise improves jaw joint flexibility and relieves tension.
- Chin Tucks: Place your hands against a wall and relax your shoulders. Tuck your chin in gently, as if you’re attempting to create a double chin. Hold this position for a few seconds before releasing it. Repeat as needed. Chin tucks strengthen the neck muscles and promote proper jaw alignment.
- Tongue to Roof of Mouth: Place the tip of your tongue against your mouth’s roof, just behind your front teeth. Gently press and hold it for a few seconds. This exercise can help to stabilize the jaw and alleviate pain.
The following tips can help you alleviate your pain during dental care:
- Communicate with your dentist about your TMJ condition and any specific concerns you may have. This enables them to adapt their techniques and meet your needs during dental procedures.
- Pre-medication: If dental procedures cause TMJ pain, speak with your dentist about taking a pain reliever or muscle relaxant before your appointment. This can help to reduce pain during and after the procedure.
- Stress Reduction Techniques: Dental visits can cause anxiety, exacerbating TMJ symptoms. To reduce stress, use relaxation techniques such as deep breathing, meditation, or listening to soothing music before and during your appointment.
- Jaw Support: Using a small pillow or rolled-up towel to support your jaw during dental treatments can reduce joint strain and pain.
- Breaks During Longer Procedures: Request short breaks during longer dental procedures to allow your jaw muscles to relax. This will help to avoid undue strain and discomfort.
- Cold or heat therapy applied to the jaw joint before and after dental procedures can help reduce inflammation and relieve pain.
Where Can You Find TMJ Treatment in Bayside, NY?
Bayside Family Dentistry is an excellent choice for TMJ treatment in Bayside area. It provides several dental services, including TMJ treatment. They provide personalized treatment plans to address your specific needs with a team of skilled professionals. It is committed to helping you find relief from TMJ pain and improve your overall oral health, whether through exercises, oral appliances, or other therapies.